Saturday, May 21, 2016

Soul Journey by Miranda Shanklin


   
   Title: Soul Journey
   Author: Miranda Shanklin

   Series: Soul Series
   Publication Date: Sept. 1, 2014
   Publisher: Eclectic Bard Books
   Age Group: YA 14+
   Genre: Paranormal, Coming of Age
   Pages:
   Format: Ebook
   Source: Review Copy from Author
   Buy the Book: Amazon
   Add to: GoodreadsBooklikes




It has been many lifetimes since the cycle began.
The cycle that still haunts Annisa Lawson.

A spell cast in desperation to help, which only caused heartache.

Now, Annisa has found her way out of the varying repeats of her past; only to bring more danger to herself, and those around her. Now she must learn to survive with the help of her friends: Chase, Penelope, and Landon have all gone through each life cycle with Annisa. Sometimes helping, sometimes hindering. Now that Annisa has broken the cycle of their collective punishment, she finds that she needs her friends more than ever to keep their enemies, known, and unknown, at bay. As the group of friends learn of their souls' journeys through their many life cycles, they must also learn to control the magick they have discovered within themselves and each other, in order to defeat the most feared assassin in their world.


I really wasn't sure about this one when I first started reading. I wasn't as captivated as I had hoped to be, but I enjoyed the story nonetheless. Shanklin has an excellent ability to build worlds and backstories. I truly loved the premise and the way she handled magick. This was a refreshing and unusual take on witches, which I definitely appreciated.

I do wish, however, that the characters had seemed a bit more three dimensional, they all seem flat. We never really see any of them make any mistakes or really act out through their emotions like teenagers tend to do (save one chapter). The exception was Rayne, she felt more real than all of the other characters. Most of them seemed to have a very laissez attitude toward everything: our 16-year old kids are sleeping together ala Dawson's Creek, sure, no problem; you want to throw yourself to the mercy of a psychopathic, magick-weilding killer, yeah, we're cool with that; we've been together forever, but you're breaking up with me for the new guy, that's cool. A lot of that required a serious suspension of disbelief. 

The writing style, itself, I found distracting. It is written from the first person p.o.v. of Annisa, but the writing seems far to proper for a just-turned-16-year-old girl. Even the dialogue between characters felt a bit unnatural. There were some places that I felt things were being over explained and other places when I felt more detail was necessary. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that Shanklin isn't a good writer, on the contrary, I believe she is an excellent writer. However, the tone and style just weren't appropriate for first-person-hormonal-teenage-witch.

But, there were so many things that were so good about this read, that I'm willing to overlook quite a bit. It was probably one of my favorite takes on the whole coming-of-age trope. And, again, I really loved her take on magic. I don't want to spoil anything for anyone who hasn't yet read it, but it was so unique as far as the origin of witches and how they come into their power.

All in all, I did enjoy this book and look forward to reading the second book in the series, Soul Redemption.



*I received this book in exchange for my honest review.*

No comments:

Post a Comment