Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Lone Wolf by Tessa Clarke

Discretion advised: This book may be unsuitable for anyone under the age of 18, due to mature themes, language and sexual content.
Title: Lone Wolf
Author: Tessa Clarke
Series: The Wolf Shifters of Raven Ridge
Publication Date: Dec 2015
Publisher: Add Link Here
Age Group: 18+
Genre: Paranormal Romance
Pages: 90
Format: Epub
Source: Netgalley
Find the Book: Amazon | Goodreads

 

When curvy veterinarian Delany Nichols meets sexy rancher Leif Pierce, sparks fly, but Leif is a wolf shifter with a past, and his brothers have expectations that he'll share his future mate. Leif's oldest brother, Wyatt, wants Leif back as part of the pack, for Leif's own good, but Leif is determined to be a lone wolf and keep Delany all to himself.
When Leif's secrets catch up with him and threaten to tear he and Delany apart, Leif must confront his demons and his brothers, and convince Delany he can be trusted with her heart.


   The ground work is there for a really great story, but it just kind of fell flat. I loved the idea that shifters don't have to hide who they are and I even loved the distinction between pack mates and litter mates. However, I wish there had been more depth to the characters. I do realize that this is a very short novella, but it was difficult to connect with the characters, to empathize with them, or even to really like them. There was so little about them to go on, they had so little personality. Frankly, the only character that felt real to me was the dog, Buddy. Everyone else was very one dimensional.

  Writing wise, I found there was a lot telling rather than showing. I don't want an author to just tell me something because they feel it needs to be told, I want them to show it to me and let me draw my own conclusions! Some of the dialogue felt forced or awkward, like who the fuck says, "that was most enjoyable," after getting freaky? It made me think of someone describing sex in very clinical terms... not great to find in my romance/erotica/whatever genre you want to throw this one into. Thankfully, I didn't run across a crap load of editing issues--with the other issues I had with this read, editing would have dumped it into the DNF category.

  I really wish I could give this story a better review. I really wanted  to like it. I did like the concept, but in practice it just fell so short, almost as if huge chunks of the story are missing. I would love to see this story expanded. I would definitely give it another go if the author were to turn it into a full-fledged novel!


*I received this book for free in exchange for my honest review.*



No comments:

Post a Comment