Monday, July 18, 2016

Interview: DA Roach


Tell me a little bit about your book.
It’s a tale of good vs evil. A young woman recently lost two people who meant the world to her. She heads to the crash site to look for a ring that belonged to one of them and hear’s someone call her dead boyfriend’s name. As she goes to investigate, she accidentally stumbles through the gate to the demon realm and into the hands of a Clan of Demon Hunters. The hunters are unsure what to do with her as no mortal has ever successfully crossed into their realm on their own, and the woman begins to understand that maybe there was a reason she stumbled upon the Clan.


Title: Between the Bleeding Willows
Series: Demon Hunters
Publication Date: Mar 8, 2016
Publisher: Limitless Publishing
Age Group: YA
Genre: YA Paranormal
Pages: 282
Find the Book: Amazon | Goodreads


If you had to write this one all over again, go through the whole editing and publishing process from the beginning again, is there anything you’d do differently?
Wait to turn it in. Those who read it said “Good, now we are ready for book 2.” But I was nowhere near done penning book 2..

Are you a plotter and know what’s going to happen or are you a pantser that lets your characters lead you by the balls?
I’m both. I do some mapping out and character building but once the writing begins, it becomes an organic experience and characters can derail my initial plot plan.

What’s something that you are really good at that most people don’t know about?
I’d say drawing. I am really good at looking at a picture and replicating it. I might not be good enough to make money from it, but I truly enjoy it.

Do you think being a writer is a gift or is it a curse? Why?
Gift!
Sometimes I struggle with the right way to say something verbally, but when I put it on paper, it comes out exactly as I intended. So for me, it is a powerful communication tool. I also fill out grant applications for our school and I think my ability to write well has helped us win many of those grants.

Parents like to say they don’t have a favorite child, but we all know that’s not true. I could say the same for writers. So who’s your favorite child... erm, I mean character?
It’s a toss up between Casper and Tyler. Casper is a lot of fun but he’s also loyal and all around awesome. Tyler is swoon worthy, hard working, head screwed on straight, has issues, but still lovable.

Do you usually root for the heroes or the villians?
Heroes, except in Avengers where I wanted Loki to win.

Who are your favorite authors?
Rebecca Donovan, Nicole Williams, Richelle Mead, JK Rowling from the big names. From the independent realm: Carissa Lynch and Bradon Nave.

What about up and coming authors? Anyone caught your fancy?
I had never heard of Tillie Cole until recently and am looking forward to reading A Thousand Boy Kisses.

Back to your characters for a minute, who would you like to have a beer with? Who do you wish you hadn’t created?
Probably a beer with Tyler, he sees the positive in things, despite having some deep anger issues. And he’s led an interesting life. I mean, wouldn’t you want to know why a guy in his young 20’s is covered in tattoos when he doesn’t seem into body modification?

Who do I wish I never created? I’d say Jace. He ends up being pretty slimy and unfortunately, quite powerful.

Tell me one thing that’s on your bucket list.
Make the USA Today Bestseller list.

If you were asked to write a book in a different genre than your current works, what genre would you choose and why?
I’d do a series for new chapter book readers. While so many kids got interested in The Magic Tree House books, my kids did not find them exciting. Maybe contributing to that age range would spark some new readers?

What are you working on right now?
I’m finishing book 3 of the Demon Hunters series and also framing out a book with fellow author and friend, Bradon Nave.

Care to give us the first sentence of the last chapter you were working on?
“Sean, I want Skylar to stay behind and guard Cass.”

So, say you just got arrested. What’s the most likely reason the cops are carting you off to jail?
Speeding. I try to keep it at 5mph over the speed limit or less but there have been times when I’ve been distracted (by construction detours, chatting to a passenger) and found I was going faster than I should be.

What’s the strangest thing you’ve ever researched for one of your books?
Degloving. One of my characters gets minorly degloved and I needed to know what all was involved physically in the healing of it. Gross stuff!

What’s the one book you wish you had written?
Reason the Breathe by Rebecca Donovan. It’s my favorite.

Tell us about your most embarrasing bookish experience.
I haven’t had one yet, knock on wood that I don’t ever have an answer to this. :>

When you were little, what did you dream of being when you grew up?
An artist. I loved drawing and couldn’t see myself doing anything but drawing.

What’s your writing quirk? Every author’s got one ;)
Hmm, writing quirk...these are really good questions by the way, I guess it would be I have to pen and paper my ideas in a place with no wifi and plenty of diet coke. Usually I chose a local diner and ask the waitress to keep the drink full and she’ll be tipped well. Hashing out those initial details at home (where dishes, laundry, phone calls) distract you or anywhere with wifi (fb, twitter, and instagram all beckon me(. Once I have the framework, I can hit the laptop at home. Oh, and NO MUSIC during the framework phase.

In your most recent work, would you tell us about some of the material that didn’t make it past the cutting room floor?
I had a scene where Cassidy was researching everything she learned about the demon hunters. She searched books, the internet, and any resources to learn about necromancers, demons, hunters, and casters. The editor chopped it, instead we threw details in throughout the story.

What’s your favorite Disney movie? Seriously, this one is super important. Your life depends on your answer here.
I really like Brave. It’s not the most popular movie, though that alone holds appeal, but I love the characters, plot, humor, and overall mood of the story. I was never a girlie girl so I didn’t do Barbies or princesses, instead I was playing with Star Wars figures (Leia of course), playing war outside (I was the nurse tending to the fallen soldiers), or kickball. I can relate to Merida as she didn’t want to be pushed into the princess role.

Where can our readers find your work?
AMAZON AUTHOR PG: http://www.amazon.com/author/daroach

What/When is your next release coming out?
I believe October 4th is the release of 13. It’s a Limitless Publishing Thriller Anthology and I have a short story in there. It’s NA. Then December 13th is the release of Within the Darkest Hollows (Book 2 of the Demon Hunters series), which is YA paranormal.

How do you want readers to keep in touch with you?
The best is through facebook as that will have the most current information on me. Here are my author links. Thank you for interviewing me.

WEBSITE: http://daroachbooks.blogspot.com/
FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/DARoachDA/
TWITTER: https://twitter.com/daroach12books

About the Author:

D.A. Roach has been telling stories since she was a young girl in the suburbs of Chicago. In college
she met the man of her dreams, her happily ever after, and married him 2 weeks after graduating. They have 3 kids together and a pet cockatiel named Gimli. D.A. did not find a love for books until after college. Her parents were immigrants from Lithuania and found tv and radio easier ways to hear stories so they did not do much reading or encourage it. But once she finished college and D.A. had free time, she discovered how amazing it was to get lost in a story.

D.A. is a full time mom and wife. When she is not doing domestic things (laundry, bills, etc) she is writing, reading, creating mixed media art, and helping beautify her kids' school landscape. Oh, and she is ALWAYS listening to music. Her favorite authors include Rebecca Donovan, Richelle Mead, Larissa Ione, Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, and Sylvia Day. Reading great works from authors like these has motivated D.A. to write her own stories. She hopes to make positive changes in the world with her art and writing.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."

— George Bernard Shaw

Find her:
Website
Facebook

Twitter

Book Gorilla

Amazon Author Page

~



~

Brought to you by:

No comments:

Post a Comment