Monday, August 8, 2016

How to Write a Book Blog: What to do with all these Books?!

Dear Courtney,
  I recently discovered Netgalley and the plethora of amazing groups, street teams, & ARC teams available to me of Facebook. I am in love and uber excited! However, in my excitement, I immediately requested every book I could, and now I am up to my armpits in ebooks and paperbacks!
  That's all well and good because books are my best friends, but these books all need reviews and all those reviews have deadlines! There's no way I can read all of them in time! What should I do?!

-Drowning in Books.

Well, Drowning, my first piece of advice is usually this: don't request so many books! But, clearly, it's already a bit too late for that little nugget.

So, what can you do now that your TBR pile has become an unmanageable beast? It's time to make a plan!

  1. Enacting the "Book Ban."
    For the foreseeable future, do not request books from Netgalley, agree to review books sent to your by authors, purchase books, check books out from the library, or acquire books from any other source.
  2. Estimate the number of books you can realistically read in a week's time.
  3. Make a list of each book you've agreed to review. Include the deadline in this list.
  4. Group books into sets, by deadline, according to the number you came up with in step 2.
  5. Start reading! As long as you stick fairly close to your list, you'll be able to read and review all those books in time.

    Bonus:
  6. After finishing all those books, use my first piece of advice: Don't request so many books at one time! Limit yourself to only requesting/accepting review copies of no more than half of that number you came up with in step 2. Using half of that number will leave you plenty of wiggle room for busy weeks, picking up a couple of books from the bestseller list, library, or Amazon Freebie Lists, or any other books that might turn up unannounced in your TBR pile.

No comments:

Post a Comment